A Social Media Strategy is an essential component of a broader marketing plan for any business in today’s world. We accept that Social Media is a powerful medium to connect with prospects and customers but because Social Media is so new, we’re just not sure how to effectively market our business using Social Media.
If you were applying for a business loan the first thing your bank manager would ask is, Do you have a business plan?
If you’re venturing into Social Media for your business the first thing you need to ask yourself is, What’s my Social Media Strategy?
Having one or more Social Marketing Strategies in place before you enter the big wide world of Social Media will help you gain clarity and direction for your business.
Do you think the World’s top athletes begin a race without a strategy? No way, anyone serious about achieving results in any field knows they need to have one or more effective strategies in place PRIOR to beginning their venture, event etc.
While marketing principles remain the same, the manner in which those principles are applied within the Social space will vary depending on the platform you’re using to market your business.
The four most known Social sites are Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn. Each represents an opportunity for businesses to target prospects in a different way.
For example, are you a B2B business wanting to market your products or services to other business owners? Use LinkedIn.
Would you like to educate prospects and customers in a short, quick and easy to understand way, use YouTube.
Would you like to create a community of enthusiastic fans and engage with them in a personal way? Use Facebook.
We know that a strategy is simply a method or series of steps we must take to achieve a certain outcome. Creating a Social Strategy requires a detailed analysis of who you’d like to target and how you’re going to target them in the most effective way.
Some initial questions you might like to ask yourself to formulate your Social Media Strategy are:
- Who is my target customer?
- Who REALLY is my target customer?
- What are their buying motivators?
- What are the 6 primary thoughts or questions they would think prior to buying my product/service?
- What is the best way to target my prospects?
- What is my outcome? Do I want to: Receive more new business leads, Build closer relationships with customers, Receive more referrals from existing customers, Create a community of people passionate about my product/service/topic, Build my database…?
- Who else has the same customers as me?
- How will my marketing funnel look like?
- How can I hold my prospect’s attention span?
And when creating your Social Marketing Campaign…
- What can I give them that no one else can?
- Will they purchase instantly or will this campaign simply initiate the buying process?
- How can I present my offer in a way they’re not accustomed to in order to deliver massive value to them?
- If I were my customer, what would motivate me to take action to purchase?
- When they read this (headline, copywriting), what will they think and/or how would they feel in response to this?
- If this doesn’t work, what else could work?
- Who most often buys from me, male or female? Are they single, married or in a relationship? How old are they?
- Will they buy from me once, or will they purchase regularly?
- What are the steps to take my customer through to purchase?
- What marketing principles will work most effectively in this campaign? (Scarcity, Social Proof, Authority, Liking, Reciprocity)
- What testimonials will be most effective for my target market? Will they respond better to written or video testimonials?
In developing your Social Media Strategy it’s essential that you answer these questions not immediately, but throughout the formulation of your Strategy.
If you miss your mark the first time, keep trying until you get the formula right. With every campaign, you’ll come closer to cracking the code that is your customer’s mind.
If you can get inside their head, you’re on your way to a sale. The majority of your prospects will have the same questions, queries, concerns and turn offs. If you can figure out what these are you’ll create a compelling Social Media Strategy and you’ll enjoy amazing results that most others can only hope to attain with their Social Marketing.
We partner with many UK businesses helping them get more leads and sales from the internet, be our latest client.